– Travis Thatcher of Judi Chicago is having what looks like a pretty kick-ass yard sale on Saturday. Look, he has a fancy flyer and everything.
– The model whose picture appears on the cover of Vampire Weekend‘s Contra is suing the band’s label XL Recordings and photographer Tod Brody (who sold the picture) for $2 million, saying that her signature was forged. Brooklyn Vegan has done a bit of investigative journalism for those who want the details.
– Pecanne Log‘s Christa T and Creative Loafing‘s Thomas Wheatley decorated some sweet Atlanta-themed cookie cakes for the BurnAway fundraiser, and they’re all up for you to see here.
– In news from the other side of the pond, Robbie Williams has returned to man-band Take That and everyone (well, almost everyone) in England is rejoicing! We have frequently expressed our love for Mr. Williams over here on this blog, and we love a bit of Take That too, so we can’t wait to hear the new stuff and welcome the band back to America (please?).
– If you’re interested in the music biz, then you should probably look up the Georgia chapter of NARIP. The group is hosting a Mock Negotiation of a 360 Record Deal on July 21, showing musicians and artists how to avoid some of the common pitfalls of deal-making. More information is available here.
– One of the most interesting developments – technologically, socially, etc. – in our world is being made into a movie. That’s right, the Facebook film is coming. Written by Aaron Sorkin and starring the likes of Jesse Eisenberg and Justin Timberlake, The Social Network looks terse and pretty fascinating, especially since all this stuff happened within the past few years. TechCrunch has the trailer for your perusal.
– Local funky, soul, hip-hop group Weapons of Audio have released a video for “Boulevard,” which sounds like a nice smooth and creamy mix with Prince and The Kinks combined like peanut brittle and vanilla ice cream. Mmmm. The video is below for your enjoyment. The band plays the Atlanta Stargazing Tour at Midtown Tavern this Saturday and also with Soulphonics & Ruby Velle at The EARL on July 24.
Weapons of Audio – Boulevard from Corey Davis on Vimeo.