– Matisyahu will be joined by the new reincarnation of Sublime, Sublime with Rome, for a super-mellow night of reggae at The Masquerade on July 23.
– Tickets are now on sale for Kenny Leon’s True Colors 2010-2011 season. And if you order your subscription by July 15, you’ll get two free tickets for the always-popular Langston Hughes’ Black Nativity. The offer expires tomorrow (Thursday, July 15) so get on this now. More information here.
– Local rock ‘n’ roll heroes Death on Two Wheels will be kicking off their summer tour with The Rocketboys at The Masquerade on July 30.
– Our favorite harp-wielding folk rock duo Last Chance Runaround will be playing Decatur’s ace watering hole Twain’s on July 22. The gig is free, the place brews their own beer – what more could you ask for?
– Though most of us have already obtained and listened to Dark Night of the Soul, the album – featuring the work of Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse (AKA the recently-departed Mark Linkous), with guests like Vic Chesnutt (who we also lost too soon), Wayne Coyne and Iggy Pop – finally saw the official light of day yesterday. USA Today has a pretty great story and Paste Magazine has a small review.
– I know this is a music blog centered around Atlanta, but you really should know about this new movie Red, coming out in October. At first glance the synopsis seems a bit trite and daft – ex-CIA crew being hunted down and get the “band back together” to kick ass – but really, seeing Morgan Freeman, Bruce Willis, John Malkovich and (oh hells yes) Helen Mirren as retired killers teaching those young ‘uns a lesson is pretty hilarious. Trailer below.